Day 18 Inspection

I did my Day 18 Inspection this past Saturday- and things are looking good!  My friend Mike came over and brought some experience to the table.

Looking through the frames they all seemed to be clustered to one side of the super.  Mike thought this might be because of the hive’s proximity to the fence and the angle at which they were entering the hive.  They’ll eventually make their way over, filling out the rest of the of the frames and moving up.

Cracking my way in and smoking.


As we investigated the frames with drawn comb, we were seeing good laying patterns by the queen.  Very dense clusters of capped brood. We were even able to spot open cells with larva present. Although it was hard to get a photo on those frames because there were so many bees covering the cells.

We spotted the queen pretty quickly (actually Mike did). It’s a little easier to find her when there are less than 10,000 bees, versus 50,000 or so later in the summer. The queen usually tends to be on the most populated frames, or rather the bees tend to populate heavily around the queen to tend to her, feed her, and clean her. Living like royalty!

We were also creating housel positioning of the frames.  Basically we are arranging the frames similar to how bees would build wild comb. After seeing the orientation of the burr comb I pulled out a couple weeks ago, I was able to determine which way the comb should be oriented. This is based on which way the Y is oriented when looking through the frames. From one side, the Y appears to be facing upwards, on the reverse side, the Y appears to facing downwards.

This image shows the Y is up.  If you can picture the reverse side, the Y would be facing down.

Also during this inspection, we noticed the bees were building out most of the frames in the top super. Since this is where the brood nest is located, we switched the upper and lower super.

Video to be posted soon…